[mmaimcal] SOFIA

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue May 1 17:37:36 EDT 2007

Folks,

An ALMA pathfinder has found its path:

To:  Members of the USRA SOFIA Science Council
From:  Fred Tarantino, USRA President

Yesterday, the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA)
took to the skies for its first test flight.  Below is the link to the
NASA webpage on this historic flight.  The photos of SOFIA at takeoff
and while airborne are striking.  SOFIA was truly beautiful.

I want you to know that USRA is dedicated in its role as the science and
mission operations contractor for SOFIA.  Together with NASA, the German
Aerospace Center, and all the SOFIA partners, we are looking forward to
the day when SOFIA will become a world-class astronomical facility.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/sofia_firstflight.html