[mmaimcal] ALMA in the FY2008 Budget

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 5 14:45:12 EST 2007

The President has sent the FY2008 Budget to Congress.  Details on the
National Science Foundation request may be found at:
http://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2008/
I have excerpted a few words of possible interest here.

The National Science Foundation proposes a fiscal year (FY) 2008 investment
of $6.43 billion to advance the frontiers of research and education in
science and engineering. The NSF FY 2008 Budget Request includes an increase
of $408.79 million (6.8 percent) over the FY 2007 Budget Request. At this
level, NSF will build on recent advances and support promising initiatives
to strengthen the Nation's capacity for discovery and innovation.

The Mathematical and Physical Sciences request seeks $1,253M, an 8.9%
increase over the FY2007 request.  Within this division,
Astronomical Sciences receives a request which is up 8.3% over the FY2007
request.  The Nat'l Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) request is up
3.9 % over the FY2007 request.  NRAO is supported at the level of $52.74
million, an increase of $2.0 million over the FY 2007
Request. The total includes $8.2 million for ALMA early operations.

Within the Major Research Equipment and Facilities Construction line,
ALMA is increased by $16.38 million in FY 2007.  Funding requested in FY
2008 from the MREFC account for ALMA reflects the new baseline configuration
and cost as approved by the National Science Board.Figures for FY 2008
and beyond also reflect the new baseline.

Gemini Observatory and ALMA operations and instrumentation are
AST's highest priority in facility stewardship.   Early operations funding
for ALMA increases to $8.2 million within the base budget of the National
Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO

See pp 10-13 of
http://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2008/pdf/30_fy2008.pdf

| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	 |
| Project Scientist, Atacama Large Millimeter Array/US   |
| Astronomer, National Radio Astronomy Observatory       |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA |
| (434)-296-0329 voice             (434)-242-4713 cell   |
| (434)-296-0278 FAX               Help us build ALMA    |