[mmaimcal] B7 Change Requests

Todd R. Hunter thunter at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 23 23:24:35 EDT 2007

Hi Al,

I read Lazareff's document tonight, and have a new perspective on the
issue.  Albeit somewhat contrived, his comparison of assembly #09 (which
does not meet the sideband rejection spec) with a hypothetical assembly
that just barely meets it, illustrates the concern:  By requiring the 10dB
rejection, many of the most sensitive SIS mixers will go unused and the
array will be less sensitive as a result.  It is certainly not easy to
weigh these issues against one another.  Ideally, one would have two sets
of Band 7 receivers: one for best sensitivity, and one for best image
rejection.  While this is not practical for ALMA as a whole, can we not
simply require that the total power antennas be outfitted with the very
best Band 7 receivers? (i.e those that have the best image rejection and
still have good Trx performance).  Additionally, it sounds like there
might be another solution that would involve adjusting the bias point
(i.e. tuning) depending on the observer's needs. See the final paragraph
below.

Comments
========

I believe their suggested calibration scheme to promote single-dish
sideband separation (apparently devised by R. Lucas) has more merit than I
originally thought earlier today at our meeting. They are *not* suggesting
that one subtract an interferometer spectrum from a single dish spectrum,
or vice-versa. In fact, the method described may be worth attempting to
further improve the separation, even if all the receivers gave >10dB. So
we may want to reword our response accordingly.  However, there are some
complications that should be pointed out at Tuesday's telecon, and in our
response:

First of all, they do recognize the need to measure a sideband ratio at
each spectral channel in the IF band--this is done by observing a
continuum calibrator in interferometric mode and comparing the calibrated
amplitude (presumably in brightness temperature units?) in corresponding
channels of the two sidebands. I believe the weaknesses of this strategy
are: 1) you would need to know the continuum flux density of the
calibrator accurately in both sidebands (preferably from prior
observations and monitoring, a spectral index may not be reliable enough),
2) there is a possibility that more than just the receiver sideband ratio
may contribute to the observed amplitude ratio (e.g. different paths in
the correlator during and after Walsh demodulation/sideband separation).

The second problem comes from the phrase "Acquire the image band during
the single-dish observation" -- I presume that they mean to retune the LO
to place (what was) the image band into the signal band.  However, one
would then have yet a different image band contributing to the measurement
of the image band. If you have only 8dB rejection, you could have
contribution from the second image at the -16dB level into the original
signal band after the subtraction.  So, a 40K line in the second image
could still end up as 1K in the band of interest.  So this technique may
not work for certain sources/tunings.

However, at the end of the document, a very promising statement is made
(in the section: "Meeting the rejection specification"):  "it can in
principle be achieved by degrading the conversion efficiency of the mixer
having the higher gain (we normally bias both junction near maximum
efficiency). We have actually demonstrated that this is possible." (see
Fig of assembly #16 at 311 GHz).  I may be naive, but it sounds to me
like: by adjusting the bias voltage on the junction, one could give up
some sensitivity in exchange for more sideband rejection.  If this can be
done reliably at a variety of frequencies in the band (not just one), then
it could be an elegant solution that fits both needs.  It would of course
take extra time to generate two sets of tuning curves for each mixer but
that could be done during telescope test time if they don't do it in the
lab.  But before we put any stock in this, I think we should ask that this
effect be demonstrated for more than one mixer assembly, and at a list of
LO tunings.  Perhaps you could ask that this be done before accepting the
change request?

Todd