[mmaimcal] Observing several CO isotopes with ALMA

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 13 13:18:27 EDT 2006

Folks,

The new System Technical Requirements document approves an IF for B6 of
6-10 GHz.  This prompted a question from Iguchi-san on whether it would
still be possible to observe several CO isotopes simultaneously using B6.
As you know, with the 4-8 GHz IF of B3, 12CO and 13CO/C18O will not be
available simultaneoulsy.  For B7, also with a 4-8 GHz IF we will apparently
be able to observe 12CO and 13CO simultaneously but not C18O, which is
too far from the 12 CO frequency.

Debra developed a single field interferometry use case for this for B6.
Darrel worked out the LOs and I asked John Webber for FE group comment.
He has put the results into a memo.  Please look at the memo found at

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~jeffland/WiderBand03.pdf

We have a similar setup for B7 which I will ask for comment from Gie Han
Tan on.

Let's discuss this at our next meeting, next Wednesday,  I'll try to
begin development of the agenda soon.

Among other items for discussion are the documents linked to the ASAC agenda at:
https://wikio.nrao.edu/bin/view/ALMA/ASAC16Sep06Agenda

Al Wootten
Interim Project Scientist
ALMA, 40 El Golf, Piso 18
Las Condes, Santiago, Chile
Tel: (56) (2) 467-6128  FAX: (56) (2) 467-6103