[mmaimcal] Construction contract for the ALMA - OSF Technical Facilities signed

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 10 11:27:07 EDT 2006

Dear interested ALMA party,

I forward for your interest a message from Hans Rykaczewski, the European
ALMA Project Manager.  After the antenna contract, this is the largest
contract we expect ALMA to negotiate; congratulations to ESO for its
success in bringing this successfuly to signature.

It is my great pleasure to announce that the contract for constructing
the OSF Technical Facilities has been signed by ESO and its contractual
partners, Vial y Vives Ltda, Empresa Constructora Mena y Ovall S.A., and
the  VVMO Consortium, today at 9:30 a.m. (local time) in Santiago.

This is a major milestone which has been achieved after a long period of
initial ideas, conceptual designs, improvements, optimization,
contractual and legal matters etc. This process has involved the efforts
of many persons having expertise in a broad spectrum of different
fields. I would like to thank all people involved for their dedicated,
and in some cases passionate, hard work to get this project so far.

Nevertheless, we are just at the beginning of the actual construction
work. Let us all try hard and continue to work with the same commitment
such that in the beginning of 2008 we all will enjoy working at the OSF.

Hans Rykaczewski

--
European ALMA Division
European Southern Observatory || E.S.O.