[mmaimcal] Re: [Almasci] Two antennas

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 7 13:48:31 EST 2005

if it really *is* only 0.3%, then the nearly obvious conclusion would be that
the antenna-to-antenna variation will be almost that large anyway, so nothing
need be done.  i don't think we can even measure the beam (polarized or not) to
0.3% in any case.

i'd be surprised if it really *were* only 0.3%, though, theoretically or in
practice.  how much do we trust the beam simulation?  has anybody put it through
GRASP yet?  if it's only 0.3% difference between the two designs, then this
means that the entire effect of the feed legs on the polarization beam is only
0.3% (peak), and that the differences between the two designs have little to no
area where they give opposite effects.  seems a bit small to me - if you
simulate the polarization beam with and without the feed legs, you only get 0.3%
difference?  and is that absolute or relative difference?

	-bryan