[mmaimcal] [Fwd: Antenna Differences]

Richard Hills richard at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 06:45:15 EST 2005

This was my second e-mail, being circulated now in the interests of
openess rather than any claim to be saying anything profound.

Also just to say that I talked to a number of people at URSI about
this.  As usual James Lamb put it most precisely and economically:  he
said,  "If you are going to ignore the effects of the sidelobes it is
better to have antennas with diffierent configurations;  if you are
going to correct for it than it is easier if they are all the same."
Time Cornwell's comment however was to the that even if you do correct
for it is no big deal to allow for the case of anteanns with different
patterns.

I also sent this to Tom from URSI.  Thinking a little harder about the
diffraction due to the legs: The most important effect in probably in
the outer part of the main beam and the first side lobe. A bright source
in this region will stay in the pattern for a long time. Here the
pattern caused by the blocking will interfere with the Airy pattern of
the dish giving it a 4-fold symmetry which modulates the signal from the
source as the pattern rotates relative to the sky. I think this the case
where it is most likely that one would have to make the correction and
one would need to do it separately for the different antennas.

Best Richard