[Almacal] Re: [mmaimcal] Meeting today

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Wed May 11 08:42:50 EDT 2005

Hi Stéphane

Thanks.  Indeed that is a good point.  I'll talk to Skip about this but
I think it is really the magnitude which causes problems.  It is no problem
at the moment because they are using a x6 multiplier for B9.  However, I
am told that there is a x5 solution 'almost ready' for implementation, and
that for this it is very difficult to switch by 0.03%.  Since we cannot
ascertain lock at 10ms anyway it would be quite reasonable to relax that
somewhat.

And on the point you raised yesterday on the ST vane, I'm certainly in
agreement--simple is best, two loads is simple and almost certainly works,
and I fear many complications in field testing of the ST vane such as those
you mention.  Right now I still have no reports on ST vane performance,
accuracy of hot load temperature maintenance, or saturation values above
Band 6, all of which I think are ingredients to the final recommendation.
I think we're ready to make that recommendation when those reports are in
(and in fact its partially written).

Cieux clairs,
Al