[mmaimcal] Matching of frequency profiles for ALMA and ACAcorrelators

Brian Glendenning bglenden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 08:53:32 EDT 2005

> > 2. Doesn't the ACA correlator support a greater number of channels
> > than the main ALMA array anyway (I'm not at all sure if it
> does or not)?
> > If so, then combined with (1) above that's the end of the story.
>
> Yes, a larger number of channels is potentially supported,
> but the maximum
> resolution is the same.

It is the intention of the ACA software team that they will only release
from the ACA correlator system (i.e., including computers), the same number
of channels to match the baseline correlator mode. Our data rate assumption
has also been that they will match the number of channels. If all the
processing mentioned in these messages can be done in computers attached to
the ACA correlator than this is all fine (although the interfaces might need
modification to indicate the data processing parameters), but if instead
some of the processing needs to be done after archiving we need to discuss
the implications on the computing system. Which situation are we in? I'm
sure this should be obvious to me!

Cheers,
Brian