[mmaimcal] Re: [alma-sw-ssr] question about frequency/band switching speeds and rates

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at tuc.nrao.edu
Wed Feb 9 16:42:30 EST 2005

Ed,

That is built into the optimization --
In simulations, I make thousands of fake calibrator fields which
are consistent with the source counts as we think we know them
(we'll find out when we get our hands on the ATF
Prototype Interferometer in a year).
THEN, I look at how far away each CAL is from TARGET, look at
how bright, determine how much time it takes to look at it,
how much time it takes to go there and back, and how different
the sky is THERE from HERE -- and I select the calibrator
(and calibration strategy -- time on cal, time on source, etc)
which produces the best overall sensitivity.

In gauging the effectiveness of Fast Switching, I look at the
statistics of the distributions I get out of the ensemble
of fake calibrator fields.

Admittedly, it has taken me over 10 years to get this as right
as it is today -- not that its perfect yet.  I learned to tie
my shoes in just a few days, though.

   -Mark