[mmaimcal] Re: [alma-sw-ssr] question about frequency/band switching speeds and rates

R. Lucas lucas at iram.fr
Fri Feb 4 12:12:58 EST 2005

Darrel:

This is what we have in the OTF interferometry use case:

""2. The scheme currenly envisioned for phase tracking is the following
(D. Emerson):

- We apply, on one of the LO's, the phase and fringe frequency needed to
track the center of the antenna beam (taken at the center of the
integration period),

- an additional phase, constant during the integration, as needed to
obtain a continuous phase at the beginning of the integration.

- this phase value is kept and later subtracted from that of
visibilities obtained during that integration. This scheme should not
unneededly restrain the  final data rate.""

I think this resulted of a discussion with Larry and yourself at the
time. We always phase-track a fixed position in the sky, corresponding
to the center of the primary beam at mid-integration, but make sure
there is no phase jump at the end of each integration.

Cheers

Robert

Darrel Emerson wrote:
> I believe Robert Lucas is working on the details, but I don't think
> we want to track the phase centers as such as they move across
> the sky with the primary beam in OTF interferometry.
> If you do that, you end up with artificially high fringe rates that
> are too high to sample - Larry pointed this out.  However, if
> you keep the phase center more or less fixed, but track the fringe
> frequency rather than its absolute phase, that's a more slowly
> changing quantity across the sky, & it becomes manageable.
> Of course you do need to track the delay center with the primary
> beam, but not necessarily the phase center.
>
>   There was some discussion on this issue a couple of years back.

I think that was rather a couple of couples of years back.