[mmaimcal]Instrumental Delay offsets

Dick Sramek dsramek at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri May 28 17:59:36 EDT 2004

Hello John,

At the moment we only have instrumental phase stability specs on 10 sec
and 300 sec time scales, and, as you point out, this is not adequate for
defining what is needed to derive baseline constants.

So maybe we need a spec for 5 x 15 = 75 minute time scale.  But how
tight should that spec be?  This in turn asks how accurately do we need
to determine (and maintain) baseline constants.

In addition to the signal path, this 75 minute spec will impact the LO
system path length stability (plus the stability of the LO cables as
they bend over large angles), plus the stability of the antenna structure.

It's not too late to insert a new spec on long term phase stability.  We
may not get what we want, but we should at least understand what we need.

The antenna requirements specify that the az/el axis offset must not
change by more than 30 micron (100 fs) in 9 months.

There is no plan at the moment to insert a phase coherent comb into the
FE signal path.

In addition to 3 (or 6) baseline parameters, you probably will need to
solve for a few instrumental phase drift parameters per antenna (e.g.,
phase offset plus first and maybe second derivatives with time).

One approach is that our baseline determination should be limited by the
atmosphere and not by instrumental drift. In general, our criteria has
been that the instrumental phase stability be better than the atmosphere
under 95 percentile conditions.  We have a lot of data on atmospheric
phase variations with time at the ALMA site, looking in a single
direction, but this may not tell us a lot about phase stability as we
swing over a few radians in the sky, where large scale gradients and
model inaccuracies become more important.

Has anyone done a study on the limits the atmosphere will place on the
ability to determine baseline parameters?  This limit will be a function
of baseline length.  This would be a useful number in specifying the
required instrumental stability.

Another approach is to decide what level of baseline errors are
acceptable so as not to impact astronomical observations.  Then limit
instrumental phase variations, on some relevant time scale, to permit
this accuracy in baseline determination (this does not guarantee that
the atmosphere will permit us to achieve this accuracy of baseline
determination).

For imaging, where we phase calibrate on a nearby point source, phase
errors in the visibility data due to baseline errors will be of order
the error in the baseline reduced by the angular separation between
target and calibrator, a factor of ~0.04.  Assuming a calibrator-target
separation of 2.5d and single frequency fast switching at 20 sec
(effective baseline 140m), the 95 percentile atmosphere would introduce
a phase error of about 70 fs (rms) per baseline.  A baseline error of
70/.04 = 1750 fs would introduce the same, but constant (very slowly
changing) error.

Position measurements would be more demanding.  For position
measurements, I assume ALMA will not be doing fundamental
astrometry, i.e., establishing an astrometric grid.  Rather ALMA will
measure accurate positions relative to a previously established
astrometric grid.  In that case, if the grid spacing is ~10d, the errors
in the phase of the target source will be the baseline errors reduced by
~0.20.  Assuming a calibrator-target separation of 10d and single
frequency fast switching at 20 sec (effective baseline 200m), the 95
percentile atmosphere would introduce a phase error of about 90 fs (rms)
per baseline.  A baseline error of 90/.2 = 450 fs would introduce the
same, but constant (very slowly changing) error.

The Science Req is currently 65 microns (217 fs) which I assume to be
rms of the vector magnitude on the longest baseline.  I don't know if
this accuracy is achievable under realistic atmospheric conditions.  I
guess the 65 microns is desired for accurate position measurements.

..DS..