[mmaimcal]DRSP for early science

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Wed May 26 10:16:42 EDT 2004

we had a discussion yesterday in the AOC regarding the ALMA science
meeting, and at the end, debra mentioned that one of the next tasks for
the science IPT was the creation of a DRSP for early science.  does
anybody else besides me think this is a very bad idea?  i think it's
misplaced effort.  i think it is too difficult to foresee what will even
be the most exciting early science, which might be 4 years away, and
even if you could, this really puts the author's stamp on such efforts
(something we were really worried about with the main DRSP).  if the
exercise is just to see what modes should be supported early on, then i
think that can be done in a much simpler way - just poll the folks in
the science IPT, and perhaps some of the authors of the main DRSP.  for
instance, for the planetary work, it's really only critical to have
continuum (plus polarization), and one or two spectral line modes (which
could be easily looked up given a table of correlator total/channel
widths).  i suspect that you could narrow the possible early modes down
to a half-dozen or so, which is reasonable, very quickly.  if it's not
to see what the desired modes are, then what is the point of a DRSP for
early science?  i guess i just don't see it...

	-bryan