[mmaimcal] draft results of holography sensitivity calculations

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at tuc.nrao.edu
Thu Dec 2 11:48:32 EST 2004

> In the current drafts of the AIV&C plans, Rick Murowinski assumes that
> there will be single baseline operations at the OSF.  I need to talk to
> Rick and Robert Laing about this assumption because it implies
> significant support at the OSF for interferometry as you indicate
> below.   I'll be talking to Robert Laing today at ESO (we are trying to
> determine computing requirements to support AIV and commissioning).
>
> If single baseline ops will be at the OSF, then you will have a
> correlator.  I'm still not sure it is worth doing holography both at the
> OSF and at the AOS.  I guess it depends on what the surface accuracy is
> when the antennas are delivered.  If I were doing this, I would want to
> do 2-element holography at the OSF for the first few antennas to make
> sure there is nothing major wrong with the surface accuracy.  I would
> probably also check the inner pannels - and set them if needed to
> minimize AOS activity.  If the pannels generally look good, then I would
> either move holography to the high site only or just do the surface
> accuracy check at the OSF.  But this is not the current plan so the issue
> is open.

Yeah, it is unclear how we would make good use of holography at the low
site.  We would do OSF holography, and find out "Oh NO!  The surface is
BAD!", and then drag the antenna up to the high site, do full-array
holography and find out "Ah, this is how we need to adjust the panels",
and then drag the antenna back down to the OSF again and adjust the
panels, and then do OSF one-baseline holography and confirm "OK, the
surface is FINE!" and then drag the antenna back up to the high site
and do more holography and say "OK, the surface is indeed FINE".

If we have a one-baseline interferometer at the OSF, yes, we'll use it,
but if we don't have it, we might actually save a bit of time.
Maybe the one valid use of holography at the OSF is to confirm that
the panel resetting has indeed made life better for us.

    -M