[Almasci] Re: [mmaimcal]Re: Comment in ALMA memo 489

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at tuc.nrao.edu
Fri Apr 9 06:11:17 EDT 2004

> mark,
>
> do you mean that the CLEAN components are weighted by the mask value,
> or that it it treated in the way that stephane noted would be good - i.e.,
> that the "mask" is used to determine the probability of finding a
> CC at a particular location?

It is more like the mask in AIPS++ determines the probability
of finding a CC at that location.  Non-binary masks are possible,
though we don't have much experience with them.  If as mask is
0.5, then a component needs to be twice as bright to be cleaned
as a component of the same brightness where the mask is 1.0.

  -M