[mmaimcal]forwarded message from Stefano Stanghellini

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 29 09:34:17 EDT 2003

Hi Jeff

The OVRO antennas do not go over the top.  I understand that the
inability therefore to separate the axis non-intersection from the 'up'
term when antennas are moved is one of the primary problems with data
from OVRO--there is always a phase drift across the bandpass.  If the
antenna has an axis non-intersection which is very small, such that it
does not affect the baselines significantly, then the phase drift will
be minimized.  But we move antennas every four days and approving a
specification which we know will complicate baseline determination, and
which will introduce phase errors, should only be done if the cost of
implementing over the top is large.  Repeatability matters but only if
repeatable within the baseline errors.  What should the stability be?  I
proposed a change less than the baseline error over the two weeks
between antenna moves in the baseline plan.  I haven't heard much
discussion of this.