[mmaimcal]Over the top motion and axis intersection K correction for Antenna RFP

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Thu Sep 18 11:42:52 EDT 2003

Hi Al,

I think there are two separate issues being discussed here.  The
over-the-top spec of 125 degree (or whatever) is related to
determining the cos(EL) dependence of the K-term, and this means
it helps only if you go far enough in EL to see the sign change in
cos(EL), well in access of the scatter in the pointing measurement data.
Thus, I would not think going over to just 100 degree in EL helps much.

The spec on the K-term is a manufacturing requirement.  It is
never perfect, of course, and you are doing this over-the-top
observations to MEASURE the magnitude of this error.  Obviously
you want to keep this as small as possible since it just one more
possibly degenerate term that can affect your pointing solution.
Although not terribly well determined, both OVRO and SMA antennas
seem to have K-term of order 1mm or less, so this should not be a
challenging spec.  Another reason for keepping this spec tight is
that even the over-the-top measurements may not be
very accurate if the reflector does not behave
correctly as it goes over the top -- it is rumored that the VLA
antennas flex differently when it goes over the top.

You might want to have a chat with Barry or Rick over this particular
issue and their experience with the VLA.

					-- Min

Min S. Yun				e-mail: myun at astro.umass.edu
Assistant Professor			phone:  (413) 545-2215
Astronomy Department			FAX:    (413) 545-4223
University of Massachusetts             http://www.astro.umass.edu/~myun
Amherst, MA 01003