[mmaimcal]Regular meeting today

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Tue May 21 13:19:12 EDT 2002

I will not be present at the meeting today, but I am sending you a link to
images of some masks that Angel and I made from Bryan's latest mask.

http://www.tuc.nrao.edu/~mholdawa/LOOSEMASK.GIF

http://www.tuc.nrao.edu/~mholdawa/TIGHTMASK.GIF

or, to get the fits files, go to

http://www.tuc.nrao.edu/~mholdawa/

and hunt.

The idea behind using two different masks is that the loose one will have
better (u,v) coverage but more expensive raods;  the tight one will have
poorer (u,v) coverage but cheaper roads.  How much better, how much
cheaper?  Well, we'll find out.  I suspect the tight one will actually do
fine (it isn't that tight)... maybe we can define an even tighter one
based on how the Y+ config set comes out for this mask?

These masks were generated from:

	- Bryan's shadowing criteria, 100m pipeline constraint, science
		preserve
	- Cleaning up Bryan's initial mask (taking away points on top of
		Chascon, and the rough science preserve edge.
	- Adding a ~ 5 km extension to the west
	- Adding the blob on the underside of the western "wing" which
		corresponds to a "finger" between aroyos which was not
		otherwise available to us due to the lack of DEM info in
		that region
	- Taking away points with TOPO gradients greater than 15%

	- Subjective carving away of splotchy points and places we don't
		want to bother putting antennas, the process which gives
		the Y+ array its shape.

	* This process was facilitated by a totally wonderful AIPS++
		software module I wrote yesterday which makes it simple
		to carve out and give back various regions of the mask
		based on mouse clicks on the display image.

	-Mark