[mmaimcal]Re: [alma-config]Re: comparison of the boone's and kogan's compact configurations

Bryan Butler bbutler at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Jan 29 15:11:29 EST 2002

i should realize that smarter folks have always dealt with things
before i get to them :)...

but, seriously, i'm not sure you've got eqns 7 & 8 right.  they are simply
stated, not proven.

let me develop a counter-example which i think shows that these equations
aren't quite right.  consider a point source at the half-power point of
the PB.  now, consider the sidelobe response to this point source at the
PB center.  your equation would have that sidelobe reponse downweighted
by ~0.71 (the value of a PB with sqrt{2} wider FWHM).  but, in fact,
the sidelobe response here *shouldn't be downweighted at all* by the
PB response - it's at the center of the PB.  you could argue that it
should even be 'upweighted' in a strict SNR sense - the signal from
the point source at the HWHM is only half what it should be, while
the 'confusing' source at the pointing center is at full value (multiplied
by the sidelobe level).

so, i think heuristically you got the argument right - that you take
the upper envelope of the family of PSF's, and that this then is equivalent
to taking a modified primary beam - but i am not convinced that you got
the mathematics right.

my crude treatment of the problem (which i described in the earlier email)
takes the modified PB as:
   PB'[s] = PB[max(0.0,s-FWHM)]
which is similar to yours, but a bit different (it's flat-topped at 1.0
out to roughly the FWHM [in radius])...

this is relatively easy to see and argue about in 1D, but gets
more complicated in 2D, and, i think most of the argument goes away
when you start talking about deconvolution.

	-bryan