[mmaimcal]Re: configurations

Al Wootten awootten at NRAO.EDU
Wed Jan 16 12:05:44 EST 2002

David Woody writes:
 > Hi Al
 > I looked at the pad locations.  The three proposals
 > contain all of the ~250pads, but only Boone gives
 > the information necessary to determine which pads
 > to use with each configuration.  Could you have
 > John and Adrian list the pads to be used for each
 > separate configuration?
Stephane requested this information also; I have asked that
they forward it to me for distribution to the committee.
 > Also Boone's largest configuration seems to have
 > only 54 antennas, all the rest have 60 antennas.
60 was what the PDR requested.  I had not noticed that about
Boone's largest but I've been more focussed on the compact configurations
just now.

We discussed the 'score card' yesterday.  We thought the following
attributes might be elements of the score card:

Compact array design
Extended configuration design
simulations
Beam metrics
uv metrics
Mutability:  suitability for extreme zenith angles/mosaicing at these angles
No. pads
Practicality/efficiency from operations viewpoint
Elegance

To some extent these are all intertwined but it appeared to us that
these were some key elements to be considered in rough order of
importance.  Comments?

Thanks,