[mmaimcal]SMA

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 21 21:02:16 EDT 2002

I enjoyed a visit to the SMA yesterday with Jim Moran.  I got to see the
Canadian 183 GHz WVR
though not in action; we had 3-4 mm of water.  However, we did see
fringes at 230 GHz on one baseline, at least that system was very
stable.   A6 apparently has some optics misalignment; Allison Peck was
working on that.  We tried tuning to bracket the sidebands about the
water line to provide a stable hot background but with the 5 GHz IF both
sidebands were out in the wings. Even with puffies flying overhead, that
wasn't good enough for a stable hot background.  But it was a fun taste
of the commissioning work we have ahead of us.

The antenna and receiver functions are controlled through a special Palm
Pilot program Todd Hunter wrote.  Very nifty.