[mmaimcal] Correlator comments

Harvey Liszt hliszt at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 24 16:47:37 EDT 2001

It has always bothered me that the ALMA and EVLA correlators
will come on line at about the same time and yet be so different.
All synergy has been sacrificed; the EVLA and ALMA will diverge
in their architectures and never be able to help one another.

It would have been more straightforward (not necessarily better)
if the ALMA correlator had been adopted for EVLA in the first
place, but buying into WIDAR for ALMA achieves the same common
endpoint.  In light of the added costs for software development
for ALMA's 2G device, WIDAR for ALMA makes even more sense.

regards, Harvey

--
Harvey Liszt                            work:434.296.0344 fax 0278
Scientist                               home:434.973.3744
520 Edgemont Road                       mailto:hliszt at nrao.edu
Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475          http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~hliszt