[mmaimcal] ACA sims

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 10 12:16:28 EDT 2001

> mark,
>
> i haven't had time to go over the full writeup yet, but i'm curious
> how you reconcile the following two statements from your 'results':

> > in the case of the DEBRIS model, the
> > improvement is substantial (more like a factor of 2
>
> and
>
> > However, it is very difficult to justify either the ACA
> > above the homogeneous array alone, or the ACA above the SMA.
>
> seems like a factor of 2 improvement is pretty good justification
> for ACA above the homogeneous array (to me, at least).

In the DEBRIS case, much of the scattered flux which is limiting the image
quality is due to the effects of the pointing errors on the bright compact
source.  I believe that these can be fixed pretty easily. In general, you
would need direction-dependent self-cal to solve this problem.  However,
since there is only one problem source, you can fix it to large extent
through generic self-cal (of course, you end up making a small error in
the rest of the field when you do that).

I deleted this reasoning from the writeup as I thought it was too
essoteric at this point.  So, while I haven't done the extra work, I
don't think that the DEBRIS model is a particularly telling case because
of the ease of correction.  I should go ahead with that work, though,
as one or the other array concepts may work better in the correction.

	-M