[mmaimcal] Re: Polarization Teleconference

James Lamb lamb at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 4 10:48:00 EST 2001

The following are my personal views of the polarization issues related to
receivers and may not necessarily
reflect the JRDG or others involved in receivers. However, I will try to
bring up some of the points at the
JRDG meeting immediately preceeding the Im/Cal meeting.

There are enormous demands on the receiver group to satisfy a wide range of
capabilities, including the
ability to make good polarization measurements. Inevitably this leads to
compromises in the design,
and the receiver group has to try to make an optimum choice based on
judgements of what is
technically feasible and on input from other groups. It has to be remembered
that we have to design
for 20 independent receiver channels (not including the WVR), even though
not all channels will be
implemented at first light (!).

In the case of polarization there have been neither clear specifications nor
detailed justifications of some
of the requests. The most complete analysis which has been issued is
Cotton's Memo 208, 1998. Although
it was very detailed and extensive, the memo did not translate into any any
firm engineering specifications
and seemed to be written more as a discussion of how one could best use an
existing instrument.
For example, it is shown that phase variations between orthogonal linear
channels will corrupt the
measurement of linear polarization and this leads to a recommendation for
circular feeds. However,
there is no resulting number for the acceptable phase stability. The
specifications on the phase for
ALMA are already quite stringent, and the interpolarization phase on any
antenna is likely to be
an order of magnitude or more better than the inter-antenna phase stability.
Is this good enough at
350 GHz, say? There are other options that may be available, such as the
proposed laser generated tone.
Calibraton of the relative linear phases on an antenna may be done by
looking at an astronomical
calibrator through a grid (which will add noise, but only during
calibration). These need to be evaluated
in detail.

In trying to decide on the best attributes for polarization measurements
there are several measures
performance including:

1.    Linearity (or circularity) of polarization channels.

2.    Orthogonality of polarization channels on each antenna

3.    Alignment of polarizations between antennas.

4.    Stability of phases and amplitudes on long timescales.

5.    Stability of phases and amplitudes on short timescales.

6.    Variation of polarization across aperture.

It is clear that perfect linear or circular polarizaton will not be
achieved. It will also not be possible to
calculate the polarization state exactly a priori so that an accurate
calibraton scheme is mandatory.
Calibration would be simplified if all antennas/receivers are identical and
stable to the level of the
final accuracy requirement. Significant differences between
antennas/receivers can in principle be
calibrated out, but this could involve significant algorithm development and
computation (but eventually
this may be needed for the most demanding observations). The temporal
stability will affect the
calibraton interval (long timescales), or measurement error (short
timescales). I have no idea if
calibraton can reduce the polarization imperfections by a factor of 2 or 100
without any clear
caibration scheme.

On the basis of this, the receiver design has not been directed at attaining
some absolute polarization
properties (although a considerable effort has been put into getting uniform
polarization over the
aperture). Instead, much of the effort has been in trying to make the
receivers as identical as possible
and achieving the highest sensitivity and stability. These goals will
benefit all the science objectives, and
the competing factors are only cost and development time. There are some
design decisions that will
have distinctly beneficial effects on polarization. For example, there are
quite stringent tolerances
on alignment of optics. Also, great efforts have been made to have large
clearances for the
beams to maximize efficiency, and this reduces the strong
polarization-dependent diffraction effects
at apertures.

Other general design goals which will be helpful are to avoid moving parts
(repeatability and
reliabilty) and to minimize the number of optical components (sensitivity,
reliaility). Furthermore,
the approach will be to do thorough testing of components and sub
assemblies, which will
avoid such problems as polarization corruption in badly electroformed feeds
or defects
in dielectric mateials.

Many issues are still unclear (at least to me). As a case in point the
beam-squint between
L and R polarizations induced by offset mirrors has been a design driver. It
always
appears to be tacitly assumed that there are two orthogonal circular
polarizations with
different pointings, but since the effect arises from polarization
variations across the antenna aperture
the two beams will have variable non-circular polarization. This effect is
much harder to measure
than the beam-squint, but may be equally important.

There is clearly an enormous amount of work to be done in understanding the
best strategy
for millimeter and submillimeter polarimetry. It is not so obvious that
there can be any
significant change in the approach to the receiver design which would have
any substantial
benefits to polarization properties. It is nevertheless important that there
be continuing technical
discussions between the Im/Cal group and the receiver and antenna groups.
Any specific
recommendations can be considered and it is important to arrive at a
procedure for testing modules
and receivers during assembly, and to include any useful calibration devices
which may be necessary.
It will require significant dedication of someone's time to be more
quantitative and definitive than
has been the case so far. It is extremely important, for example, to keep
all receivers identical
to minimize the number of 'flavors' of spares.

James Lamb
OVRO
2000-01-04