[mmaimcal] VA/HUD Independent Agencies Bill in committee

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 9 15:22:23 EDT 2001

Highlights of the passage of the Bill:

7/31/2001 12:07am:
       On passage Passed by the Yeas and Nays: 336 - 89 (Roll no. 297).
7/31/2001 12:07am:
       Motion to reconsider laid on the table Agreed to without objection.
7/31/2001:
       Received in the Senate. Read twice. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 109.
8/1/2001:
       Measure laid before Senate by unanimous consent. (consideration: CR S8537-8549, S8552-8562)
8/1/2001:
       S.AMDT.1214 Amendment SA 1214 proposed by Senator Mikulski. (consideration: CR S8543, S8544-8549; text: CR S8544)
       In the nature of a substitute. Purpose: to make $2,000,000,000 for FEMA disaster relief available upon enactment) (TS Allison)
8/2/2001:
       S.AMDT.1338 Amendment SA 1338 proposed by Senator Mikulski to Amendment SA 1214. (consideration: CR S8665-8666)
       To make certain revisions and improvements to the bill.
Ms. MIKULSKI. Mr. President, the amendment includes the Harkin amendment for a 1-year public housing agency, an Iowa issue;
   A Hollings amendment on earmark corrections; etc etc
8/2/2001:
       S.AMDT.1338 Amendment SA 1338 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.
 Mr. BOND. Mr. President, let me express my sincere appreciation for the work of the chair of the committee....
   I express my appreciation to Senator Mikulski's staff: Paul Carliner, Gabrielle Batkin, Joel Widder; and, obviously, to my staff: Jon Kamarck, Cheh Kim, and John Stoody. They have
made a very difficult bill work well.

   I hope now that we can accept this bill and send it on to conference. I appreciate the work and accommodation of all of our colleagues who were kind and understanding to know why we
could not take all 1,600 proposed amendments worth $22 billion to add on to the bill.
8/2/2001:
       Passed Senate with an amendment by Yea-Nay Vote. 94 - 5. Record Vote Number: 269.
8/2/2001:
       Senate insists on its amendment, asks for a conference, appoints conferees Mikulski, Leahy, Harkin, Byrd, Kohl, Johnson, Hollings, Inouye, Bond, Burns, Shelby, Craig, Domenici,
       DeWine and Stevens.