[mmaimcal] Re: [Fwd: Re: CP beamsquint]

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 1 12:06:33 EDT 2000

Peter Napier writes:
 > Al,
 > >From Dick Crutcher's comments it looks as though we need a circular
 > polarizaion beam squint spec of something in the range 0.1% to 1.0% of
 > the primary beam. Do you concur?
Hi, Peter

I don't have very much experience with polarization so I defer to Dick.  I have
put aside a few minutes at the ASAC meeting to deal with remaining polarization
issues.  You may recall that the ASAC said, in their comments on the Wild/Payne
receiver specs:

* Section 3.2 POLARIZATION

    ASAC:  The ASAC report at
           http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/mmaimcal/asacreport/node12.html
           needs to be made more specific. Larry D'Addario and Steve Myers
           have put work into this, and their draft recommendations are
           located at:
           http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~smyers/alma/polspecs-imcal.txt
           We invite comments on this document.

           The polarisation purity requirement mostly influences the optics
           and horn/orthomode transducer. One would assume that the 1% goal
           in calibration requires a cross-polarisation better than 20 dB,
           and that all antennas should also be co-aligned in polarisation
           to the same level. Polarisation experts should comment on this!
           Note that it may be difficult to reach this level with an
           orthomode transducer.

Which sort of left things in the air.  I think this should be concluded at
the ASAC meeting, in addition to the question of beam squint.  Do you have
an opinion on what might be achievable with the ALMA antenna?  Dick thinks
0.1% may be difficult.  On an OH Zeeman experiment on the 43m, Barry relates
an experiment he did where beam squint of 0.27% was measured, and prevented
the success of the experiment (in collaboration with Heiles and Verschuur).
This agrees with what Dick says, and suggests a rather stringent requirement.

Al