[mmaimcal] Re: [almaadmin] CAE/CAD tools, document formats for ALMA project

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 7 11:06:07 EST 2000

Gie Han writes:
   * What kind of file formats are you presently using or plan to use in
     the future for electronic documents, including drawings,
     schematics, etc., related to the ALMA project. I'm especially
     interested in the engineering documentation.

I almost always use LaTeX with drawings in postscript (which is bulky but
easily edited).  This is easily translated to PDF for good document
transportability or to html for easy WWW access.  The Acrobat software
I have does allow markup for changes but is somewhat awkward.

WordPerfect is possible, and better than Microsoft Word, the
worst possible format as it is not in general use here.