[mmaimcal] question from the Antenna Group

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Thu May 25 11:52:45 EDT 2000

> Hi Folks,
>
> The current Vertex antenna design models indicate that the ALMA/US
> antenna will be able to turn around in 0.8 seconds assuming a 30'/sec
> scan rate and a scan time of >2 seconds in OTF mode.  The Antenna
> Group would like to know if this constraint is consistent with our
> requirements for all of the OTF modes we envision for ALMA.  Comments?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Compared to my recollection of the calculations I did a long, long time
ago, this sounds a bit slower than I was thinking (both in terms of the
scanning rate and the turnaround time), but in the right ball park
(ie, within a factor of 2).

So, all in all, it sounds encouraging.

Is anyone actually doing calculations like this at this time?

	-mark