[mmaimcal] Astronomy Decadal Review

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri May 19 10:46:14 EDT 2000

decadal review press release is on-line; see: http://www.nas.edu/

>From an email I sent Beasley, Vanden Bout, Findley and Kellerman:

It is unfortunate that the press release only indirectly refers to ALMA,
and after a long explanation of SIRTF.  This is not a good press release
from our point of view, giving ALMA very short shrift.

NRAO should issue its own press release highlighting the Committee's
endorsement of its projects, and making clear what those projects are.

-Al
Quote from NAS Press Release
                        To ensure best use of funding, new initiatives should be balanced with the completion of other important
                        projects, such as Space Infrared Telescope Facility, which is the last of the four missions in NASA's
                        "Great Observatories" program, and a large array of radio telescopes to be built in Chile. Before new
                        facilities are built, funding should be earmarked for operations, continuous instrument upgrades, and
                        data analysis and related theory, the report says.