[mmaimcal] Imaging simulations including antenna pointing errors

morita morita at nro.nao.ac.jp
Fri May 12 16:10:14 EDT 2000

All,

I have conducted several simulations for single pointing imaging
including antenna pointing errors.

Array configurations used in these simulations are a ring array and a
spiral array which was modified from an original John's spiral array.
A multi compact Gaussian model was used as a source model.
In the case of no pointing error, results shows that we can obtain
very high quality images with both arrays, although there are
significant differences of image qualities depending on array
configuraions and HA coverages.  However, when I put some pointing
errors, such differences disappears soon.  For example, dynamic
ranges of no pointing error cases are from 4,000 to 15,000 but from
2,000 to 3,000 for 1 arcsec pointing error and around 1,000 for 2.5
arcsec pointing error at 230 GHz (See attached figures).

I am writing a short report and detailed explanation of these
simulations will be appeared in the report.

These are preliminary results and I need more simulations using
various configurations and source models.
At the moment, however, the imaging simulation with pointing errors is
limitted by CPU power so current pixel size of the model is 256 x 256.
In the case of 1024 x 1024 pixel size and 64 antennas, it takes about
1 hour to calculate visilities for every integration by the most
powerful CPU server at Nobeyama!  So, unfortunately, I cannot use
standard images in the library prepared by Min.

Koh-Ichiro