[mmaimcal] observations from the CBI site

Steven T. Myers smyers at nrao.edu
Tue May 9 13:26:03 EDT 2000

Im must say that after my first week here observing I am NOT impressed
with the site weather.  About two nights in the past 7 were OK, with
light snow about 3 nights.  Relative humidity was >50% most nights, with
ice forming on the telescopes.  All in all, we have about 40 nights of
good data since Jan 6, with the longest stretch of clear data being 6
nights.

ALMA will have an easier time with its longer baselines but total power
will be very hard.

Its also frustrating to drive down from a clouded CBI site to the Japanese
Pampa la Bollo (?) site and find it clear there (not uncommon).  Seems
clouds like to peek up over onto the site from the NW and dont make it
further.  This morning there was ice and snow upat CBI and NRAO but
nothing down at the Japanese site.  Any idea on the relative qualities
(when both monitors were running) at the two sites?  The lower site is a
larger plain and looks easier to build on.

   -steve

ps. obviously wont be at the imcal meeting today, I will be here in Chile
until May 24.

|:| Steven T. Myers                      |:|  Associate Scientist      |:|
|:| National Radio Astronomy Observatory |:|                           |:|
|:| P.O. Box O                           |:|  1003 Lopezville Rd.      |:|
|:| Socorro, NM 87801                    |:|  Ph:  (505) 835-7294      |:|
|:| smyers at nrao.edu                      |:|  FAX: (505) 835-7027      |:|
|:| http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~smyers      |:|                           |:|