[mmaimcal] height matters

Steven T. Myers smyers at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jun 30 18:34:01 EDT 2000

It is true that you will always gain if you move to a higher altitude
above a given site, but it is not clear that you gain by moving to
a different site that is merely higher - I would suspect winds and
ground turbulence are worse for example.  Radiosonde will not help there.
Anyway, I think it is logistically a disaster (for reasons Ive stated
before), and if the main goal is dealing with short spacings I think it
would be better to have it cross-correlatable with the core of the ALMA
proper.  Perhaps if you want this to be considered further, some serious
studies should be done.

I still feel that building of a separate THz array is a separate project,
not a part of ALMA.  Certainly as part of the decadal panel, I would feel
that diversion of ALMA funds to a separate THz array would
be a serious change of plans from what we were sold, especially given that
we cannot really build the 64 element 10 band instrument actually
originally proposed.  Perhaps you are suggesting that our Japanses
partners undertake this, but I do not get the impression that this is what
they want either.