[mmaimcal] FYI: ALMA PR efforts at the IAU

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 2 11:05:31 EDT 2000

Folks:

Excerpts relating to us from minutes of the
ALMA PR Meeting May 22 2000
---------------------------

ISDN Videoconference between NRAO-CV and ESO headquarters. Dave Finley on
phone line to CV.

Participants:  Beasley, Finley, Johnson, Kurz, Madsen, Shaver, White

IAU Manchester Meeting:

-· ESO will take the lead on a joint "ALMA Project" booth.
-· Madsen will register the booth and settle payment.
-· ESO will bill 50% of the cost to AUI (NRAO) through the established
   ALMA Project procedure.
-· Madsen will prepare the physical display and allow US PR group to view
   and request changes.
-· Johnson will re-work the NRAO "Imaging Cosmic Dawn" brochure, turning it
   into a new *international* scientific-level ALMA brochure suitable for
   the IAU meeting, the graphic design of which will coordinate with the
   ESO-generated display.
Additionally:
Science Case:

-· Madsen will send a request to ASAC to define the key scientific elements
   for the Project.
-· Beasley will request the same type of information for the technical
   (engineering and computing) components of the Project from the
   appropriate people.
-· The ESO PR dept. will produce animation and/or video, and
   illustrations that support the individual points of the
   science/technical case.
-· The U.S. will produce text for the same.
-· Each side will review material created by the other side.
-· A website will be created that will house the latest version of the ALMA
   PR text and images, to be updated on an as-needed basis.

Miscellaneous:

-· Next ALMA PR Videoconference will be middle of June.
-· Logo, font styles, colors, etc., discussions will be discussed at a
   future face-to-face meeting.
-  The PR group will spend the last quarter of 2000 coming up with a
   three year ALMA coordinated EPO plan; starting with January 1.
-· Possible "ALMA Science Meeting" in 2001 in Europe.  Project Management
   has tentatively agreed to have a science meeting once every two years.
-  Japan's involvement is not yet clear, but we should be sensitive to
   their specific requirements.

(I guess the next to the last item means I should get something resembling
the proceedings of the last meeting out pretty soon :')