[mmaimcal] Munich

Bryan Butler bbutler at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Feb 29 11:58:47 EST 2000

>It is clear we had better come up with some compelling examples of
>subarray modes with more than 4 subarrays.  I would guess that right off
>the top, there will likely be 4 subarrays in use:

between michael, al, and myself, i thought we *did* come up with
some pretty compelling examples needing more than 4 subarrays
when we argued this out before.  this is why al's announcement
that 4 subarrays as the maximum had be *agreed upon* at the munich
meeting comes as such a surprise to me.

also, if i recall correctly, this restriction is tied to the particular
LO design currently favored by larry.  if we go to fully photonic,
then it becomes almost trivial (again, if i recall correctly) to
do as many subarrays as you wish.  since they are still arguing about
photonic LO's (aren't they having a presentation on this at the
munich meeting?), it seems premature to even make the final decision
on this...

sheesh, i'm at least as depressed as michael about this.  here we
go with a discussion similar to the antenna size discussion - one
which we will likely lose in the end...

	-bryan