[mmaimcal] IAU events for ALMA

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 3 11:27:34 EDT 2000

Continuing: ALMA display (Rebecca Johnson) with pamphlets

Butler's poster presentation at IAU 203 7 - 11 Aug

 "Observatory Reports"  - August 10, Manchester
Order and  allocation time (in minutes) may be changed.
Some other speakers are expected.

NRAO/VLA/VLBA           (15)          = Craig Walker
EVN/JIVE                (10)          = R. Schilizzi
Australia Obs           (10)          = R. Ekers   (to be confirmed)
GMRT                    (10)          = Ananthakrishnan
ALMA                    (10)          = Al Wootten
MERLIN/VLBI             (10)          = P. Diamond
NRAO/Green Bank         (10)          = P. Jewell
SMA                     (10)          = J. Moran
Sub-mm Telescope Obs.   (10)          = T.L. Wilson
Sardinia Radio telescope(10)          = Padrielli/Feretti
Suffa Telescope         (10)          = Hojaev
Brasil Observatories    (10)          = Perre Kaufmann

A. Benz has 5 minutes at the Division II (Sun an Heliosphere) business meeting
on Thusday, August 10th, 12:45-13:55, Roscoe Building, Room 3.2.

"I will present ALMA briefly and mention its solar capabilities. Then I will
call for a meeting of the people interested right after the business meeting
to discuss solar/stellar ALMA specifications and observing modes. This will
start around 14:00.

There seems to be little on stellar astronomy except S203, where I will
announce the discussion and invite stellar astronomers to the discussion on
ALMA specifications. The stellar specification do not seem to me very
demanding, except for outrigger antennas which seem to out of discussion. I
will talk to the early-type star people at Jodrell during my visit there and
see whether we could arrange a meeting.

Pulsar observations are more critical. I have written a letter to the
president of J. Moran for help, but not yet received an answer. I hope to
have some meeting in the second week of the GA."

Dave Wilner says:
 Kawabe-san will speak on ALMA at
Joint Discussion 9 on Cold Gas and Dust at High Redshift at the
IAU General Assembly, on August 14. Anyway, if we have any new
ALMA pr materials, we might pass them along (kawabe at nro.nao.ac.jp).
Also, there will some time for open discussion at 5 pm, so feel free
to make your own brief contribution, if you'd like.