[mmaimcal] Re: subarrays

Min Yun myun at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Sep 10 10:45:18 EDT 1999

Larry,

The C&I group was asked on this issue purely from the scientific
point of view.  Most of us could very easily come up with situations
where we could be using several subarrays at once -- two subarrays
operating simultaneously may be a daily event if reconfiguration is
done in a more or less continuous fashion.  Even a good fraction of
all VLA observations are done in two or more subarrays these days,
and I personally feel the subarray limitation of the current VLA
is nearly as bad as the limitations of the correlator.

So, it comes down to cost.  I have heard of "we cannot have too
many of these because they cost money" too often these days.
It would help to know how much an additiona subarray will cost, and we
will come up with a detailed case for the different number of
subarrays.  I am sure this is what you had in mind afterall.

					-- Min

p.s. I just got Michael and Bryan's e-mails.  I guess these are
good beginning points for us.