[mmaimcal] Q-band on ALMA

Steven T. Myers smyers at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Oct 18 13:28:24 EDT 1999

Indeed, I have been assuming that the 30-45 GHz would be in a second
dewar - that is the main argument for dropping it, just the pure
cost of the second dewar and pickoff optics.  It would seem to
make sense to have more than one of the lower bands in the second
dewar if there was one at all, and that 67-90 would be a good complement.
Maybe that is the case we should put forward in the "low frequency
band" defense.

Al - has your white paper on the frequency band selection from 98
somehow been superseded?  That seemed to be a nice clear memo...

It seems there are a number of "decisions" that are being made to being
threatened without real consultation eg. subarrays, correlator (which
seems to be under control now), dewars, Ka/Q/W/D (or even the basic
focal plane design).  Anything else we need to stay on top of?

|:| Steven T. Myers                      |:|  Associate Scientist      |:|
|:| National Radio Astronomy Observatory |:|                           |:|
|:| P.O. Box O                           |:|  1003 Lopezville Rd.      |:|
|:| Socorro, NM 87801                    |:|  Ph:  (505) 835-7294      |:|
|:| smyers at nrao.edu                      |:|  FAX: (505) 835-7027      |:|
|:| http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~smyers      |:|                           |:|