[mmaimcal] Re: mmw instrumental phase

Min Yun myun at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Jun 30 18:27:00 EDT 1999

Hi Bill,

This question occurred to me when I heard that magic number of
"0.5 degree per GHz" for the VLA before.  If this were true for the
mm arrays, one would expect 50 degree rms at 100 GHz and
complete decorrelation at 230 GHz.  Well, I could not tell you
if there was any LO noise in the OVRO system when I observed
there previously -- the OVRO data is completely dominated
by the atmospheric phase noise.  When I asked Dave
Woody, his answer was "very small", but he did not
offer a number (maybe he measured this at one point).
So, a reasonable working requirement would be "much less than
than the atmospheric phase noise", which is spected to be
15 micron rms in path length delay (equivalent to 2 degree rms
at 115 GHz, 4 degree rms at 230 GHz, etc., scaling with
the frequency).  Is this an achievable target for the
electronic noise for the system?  We probably need not kill
ourselves to do much better than this.

				-- Min