[mmaimcal] Schedule for URSI Toronto Workshop

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Sun Jun 27 19:13:38 EDT 1999

Moshi moshi folks,

If you wish to have a meeting today (which it is already in Japan anyway)
6/28 someone should
have Sheila place the call.  I put an agenda in for 6/21.  I have one item
to add to that which I append.  I visited the site for the LMSA prototype
here yesterday and had dinner with one of the students working on the
receivers for it here, which will be 3mm and .85 mm.

The Large Millimetre Arrays - Engineering Progress and Scientific Prospects

URSI Comm J Workshop,
URSI General Assembly, Toronto
0830-1830, Saturday 14 August, 1999

This one-day workshop is intended to provide an opportunity for people
working on the ALMA project, and for others interested in millimetre and
submillimeter arrays, to meet and discuss problems of common interest.
First, a few talks of general interest will be given. Then the workshop
will split into four parallel working groups for detailed discussions on
topics in the four areas of Antennas, Receivers, Systems and
Science(calibration and imaging).

General Interest Talks:

Status of European-ALMA Project (R. Kurz) (20 min)
Status of US-ALMA Project (R. Brown) (20 min)
Status of LMSA Project (M. Ishiguro) (20 min)
Recent results from joint site testing on the San Pedro 5000m site ( S.
Radford )(20min)
Photonic local oscillator generation and distribution (J. Payne)(20 min)
Broad band communication network in chile(E. Vera)(20 min)
Worldwide development of SIS mixer junctions and their production(T.
Noguchi)(20 min)
Advanced Correlator Concepts (A. Von Ardenne or A. Boss) (20 min)

Parallel working Groups: the topics listed for each group are
suggestions only and it will be the responsibility of the coordinators
to select the final topics.

Antenna Issues (coordinators P. Napier(chair), T. Andersen and N. Ukita)
        Exchange of design ideas
        Coordination of performance specifications
        Coordination of interface specifications (eg.foundation,
transporter, receiver etc)

Receiver Issues (coordinators J. Payne(chair), W. Wild and Y. Sekimoto)
        Coordination of international receiver development
        Coordination of international photonic LO development
        Cryogenics issues

System Issues (coordinators A. Baudry(chair), D. Emerson and S. Okamura)
        Correlator discussions
        Fiber optics issues
        Coordination of system interfaces
        Total power measurements

Calibration and Imaging Issues (coordinators R. Kawabe(chair), A.
Wootten, S. Guilloteau)
        Coordination of future site testing
        Calibration issues
        Array Configuration issues

At end of the day there will be 4x10 min summaries of major working
group conclusions.

--
Peter Napier
NRAO