[mmaimcal] pointing-introduced phase errors scale with surface rms?

Harvey Liszt hliszt at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:13:29 EST 1999

Darrel--

Take a look at what started this from Bryan Butler,

Gorham, P.W., and D.J. Rochblatt, Effect of Antenna-Pointing Errors on
   Phase Stability and Interferometric Delay, JPL TDA Progress Report
   42-132, Feb. 15, 1998.

which is in the back issues available at

http://tmo.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/

The 1st issue in front of us now is whether the phase errors measured on the
DSN antennas scale with wavelength and diameter (only), in which case an
0.7" pointing rms might affect short wavelength observing for the mma, for
the reasons discussed there.

I agree that extended sources have phase structure which point sources don't
have.  Isn't how we map them?  But do pointing errors then distort extended
sources (which you seem to be arguing).

regards, Harvey

ps

isn't this why, for instance, we want the axes to intersect to high accuracy?
we hope that this sort of error is either negligible or repeatable so it
can be removed.