[mmaimcal] Optimizing arrays for LMA

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 2 10:22:33 EST 1999

Tamara Helfer writes:

 > Mark,
 >
 > Given that the idea is currently being floated for a 20 km array,
 > I'm actually considering proposing that we rename the configurations
 > with A array being the most compact array.  People will hate it
 > at first, but to me it makes sense.
It seems only natural to me that arrays in the Southern Hemisphere should
use the opposite convention.  We had been calling the larger arrays
the 'Atacama Array" but I don't really know the possibility of a 20km
array.  Even 10km is non-trivial to fit in.  I don't think OVRO calls
their configurations by letters for size really, though the more
compact ones do have earlier letters in the alphabet.  Last time I was there
we were in configuration H.  It makes sense but at the cost of confusion.
I think we are stuck with A being large.