[mmaimcal] Re: configurations

Simon Radford sradford at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 23 14:10:50 EST 1999

Stephane,

You make a nice summary of the outstanding questions. I would agree
configuration style is certainly a pressing (and possibly the most
contentious) issue at the moment.

Your first two propositions are not entirely consistent. In some styles,
the sites of the compact and extended configurations can be specified
independently whereas in other styles, they are closely linked. Suitable
sites for the compact configuration are limited and fixed by topography.
Hence we may need to compromise the configuration style to suite the
terrain. So we cannot ignore the topography questions completely when
deciding the style.

It was very sad indeed to hear of the accident.

Simon