[mmaimcal] DRAFT: Second Announcement ALMA Conference

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 5 15:51:05 EDT 1999

Dear LOC Members, and friends,

I attach my draft of the 2nd announcement for the ALMA Conference.
If you have comments, please let me know as soon as possible.  I may
not have thought of everything that ought to be included.  I would like
to distribute this tomorrow.  I plan a 3rd announcement for mid-September.

                Science with the Atacama Large Millimeter Array
                            6-8 October 1999
                            Washington, D. C.

WWW Site http://www.mma.nrao.edu/science/science99.html

                     SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT

DATES to REMEMBER

20 August    Deadline for Early registration
10 September Deadline for reservations at the Omni-Shoreham
12 September Deadling for submission of abstracts
6  October   Congressional reception
7  October   Meeting begins (8am), Press conference, banquet
8  October   Meeting ends (7pm)
21 December  Deadline for submission of manuscripts

The meeting ' Science with the Atacama Large Millimeter Array'
will take place on 6-8 October 1999 at the Carnegie Institution of
Washington building at 16th and P Streets, NW, Washington, D. C.
under sponsorship of Associated Universities, Inc. and NRAO.
This historic neo-classical auditorium is across the street from the
AUI offices, just a few blocks from the White House and DuPont Circle.

Nearly 100 persons have registered for the meeting at this time.
We are planning for a meeting with 150-200 people in attendance.  The
auditorium will hold 400 people; the banquet is planned to seat 200.
 Note that for security reasons, entry to the building is not via the
columned portico on 16th Street, but via a side entrance on the
right side of the building as one faces it.
If you have not yet registered, please do so, as fees will increase after
20 August, 1999.  You may do this over the Web at the site whose URL is
given above.

Conference posters will be distributed next week.

In this announcement we include information on registration, the format
of the meeting, information on abstracts and the Proceedings, the
hotel and banquet arrangements, some travel information, and a summary of
important deadlines.  This announcement will be available at the WWW site,
with updated information as available.

This email is addressed to all of those who have registered, who are on one
of the organizing committees,  who have been invited to present a paper
at the conference, or who have requested to be kept informed of the
conference progress.

                            REGISTRATION

The registration fee is $75 before 20 August, rising to $95 after that date.
You may register at the URL
http://www.mma.nrao.edu/science/register.html
Please do so if you have not done so already.  The list of participants
is updated weekly; please check this at:
http://www.mma.nrao.edu/science/registration/participant_list.html
if you cannot recall if you have registered or not.
On Thursday evening, 7 October, there will be a banquet at the Omni
Shoreham hotel.  While AUI is underwriting much of the cost of this
banquet, there will be a $40 charge for those attending to make up the
difference.  You may pay this with your registration fee.  Accompanying
persons wishing to attend the banquet should be indicated and the fee
incremented accordingly.

Information on payment of fees may be found at:
http://www.mma.nrao.edu/science/payment.html
You may pay by bankcard, check, or wire transfer according to information
presented there.

                          MEETING FORMAT

The meeting will consist of invited talks on the main topics, which comprise
a hefty portion of the science which ALMA will address:
 Investigation of galaxies near the time of their formation at very
        high redshift;
 Detection and study of planets around nearby stars;
 Study of star formation by, for example, high-resolution submillimeter
        observations of protostars, protoplanetary disks, and outflows; and
 Study of the origin, distribution and evolution of the elements and
        their isotopes;

Posters will be erected on boards in the reception hall outside the auditorium
and remain up for the duration of the meeting, 8:00 am 7 October through
7:00 pm 8 October.  Coffee and snacks will be provided in this area in the
mornings and the afternoons, allowing time for poster viewing.  A
list of poster paper titles is available at:
http://www.mma.nrao.edu/science/poster_sessions.html
which is also updated at timely intervals.

Confirmed invited talks (30 minutes including questions) include:
       * Science with Millimeter Arrays -- A. Sargent, Caltech
       * Protogalactic Dawn -- David Spergel, Princeton
       * Galactic Morning -- Andrew Blain, Cambridge
       * Molecular Emission from Young Galaxies -- Stephane Guilloteau, IRAM
       * The Central Regions of Active Galaxies -- N. Scoville, Caltech
       * The Central Region of the Milky Way -- R. Genzel MPIfEP
       * Nearby Galaxies -- M. Thornley, NRAO
       * Molecular Disks -- A. Dutrey, Grenoble
       * The Formation of Planets -- A. Boss, DTM Carnegie
       * Near-Stellar Gas and Dust -- Lee Mundy, U. Maryland
       * Planetary Signatures -- Nuria Calvet, Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
       * Primitive Solar System Objects -- D. Jewitt, U. Hawaii
       * Astrochemical evolution of star-forming regions -- E. van Dishoeck,
              Leiden University
       * High Mass Star Formation -- Karl Menten, Max Planck Institut fur
              Radioastronomie
       * Star Formation at High Resolution -- Neal Evans, U. Tx.
       * New Molecular Views of Southern Star Forming Regions -- Y. Fukui,
              Nagoya
       * Interferometric Views of Star Formation -- R. Plambeck, Berkeley
       * Clusters Forming Low Mass Stars -- Philippe Andre, Saclay
       * Jets and Flows from Young Stars -- Shu, F. California at Berkeley
       * Interferometric Imaging of Molecular Envelopes with and without YSOs
              -- N. Ohashi, ASIAA
       * Dispersal, winds, shocks, dust destruction -- David Neufeld, Johns
              Hopkins
       * Magnetic Fields -- R. Crutcher, U. of Illinois
       * Formation and Structure of Molecular Clouds as Revealed by Sub-mm
              Line Observations -- S. Yamamoto, University of Tokyo
       * Stellar Mass Loss -- H. Olofsson, Stockholm Observatory
       * Formation of Dust -- Xander Tielens, Groningen
       * Molecules -- T. Millar, UMIST

                        ABSTRACTS AND PROCEEDINGS

Please provide an abstract for your poster.  These will be available on-line
and referenced at the ADS astronomy electronic literature service. LaTeX
style forms are available at the WWW site; a booklet of posters will be made
available at the meeting.

We remind that abstracts of your talks or posters are DUE NO LATER THAN :
***************************************
September 12th
***************************************
for publication in the booklet.   The booklet which will be
made available to participants at the Conference and electronically on the web
site of the Conference about one week in advance. A copy of the Conference
Abstracts will be provided to the Astrophysics Data System (ADS).  These
 will have to be prepared in LaTeX following instructions that are on the
WWW.

We have proposed to PASP that they publish the Proceedings.  This will include
ten pages for invited articles and four pages for poster contributions.
The deadline for submitting manuscripts is 21 December 1999.
To help the editors with the preparation of the Object index, it is asked
that the authors provide separately the list of individual astronomical
sources discussed in their paper.

It is desirable that these proceedings appear as soon as possible in order
to reflect the current status of the field. Therefore, the deadline for
reception of all electronic files will be :
*************************************

*************************************

In order to
keep the registration fee low, we have not included a copy of the book in
the registration fee.  We will however take orders for the Proceedings
when we have acceptance of our proposal from the PASP.
The costs per volume is $46.80 for each participant plus
$6.00 shipping/handling for US or foreign SURFACE MAIL;
or $9.00 Canada/Mexico AIR MAIL; or  $15.00 Foreign AIR
MAIL.  Please note that volumes mailed SURFACE MAIL
take 2 to 8 weeks to arrive, depending on destination.
Typically, volumes are mailed out approximately 70 days
after we receive the camera-ready hard copy.  Further, the
cost of the book to each participant is the same regardless
of the number of pages contained therein.   If a person is a
nonparticipant and is not a member of the ASP, the cost of
the book is $52.00 each.

                      ACCOMMODATIONS

The hotel for the conference is the Omni Shoreham Hotel, located
off Connecticut Avenue in Rock Creek Park.  This is situated about 1.3
miles from the meeting site, the Carnegie Institution.  One can either
walk this, or take the Metro subway one stop from Woodley Park to Dupont
Circle followed by a short walk, or take a bus.
Parking near the conference center is extremely limited.  Parking at the
hotel is available for guests at $14 per day.

A special rate, 2/3 the normal rate,  has been negotiated by AUI with
the hotel.  When reserving a room, please be sure to mention that you
want a room within the AUI block of rooms.  You may contact the hotel at
Telephone: (202) 234-0700
or Facsimile: (202) 756-5145
The number of rooms at this special rate is limited in number and in
time availability.  BE SURE TO RESERVE A ROOM BEFORE 10 September 1999!
*************************************

RESERVE YOUR ROOM in the ASSOCIATED UNIVERSITIES INC BLOCK BY

*************************************

A map is available at the WWW site.  The hotel is denoted by the flagged
address; the conference site by the orange number '1'.

Washington D. C. is served by three major airports.  Dulles International
Airport to the west handles many international flights, with convenient
ground connections to the city.  National Airport lies just across the
Potomac from the Mall, with convenient Metro access to the city.
Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) Airport lies to the north, and has
convenient rail access to the city.  BWI is served by Icelandic Airways
and by Southwest Airlines, along with most major airlines,  and
frequently boasts the most reasonably priced
fares.  More detailed instructions will be sent in a final announcement.
                      SOCIAL EVENTS

Members of Congress, their staffers, and constituents will be invited to
a reception in the House Science Committee Room at the U. S. Capitol
from 5:30 to 7:30 pm on 6 October.  Owing to the size of the room, this
will be by invitation only.  If you would like to introduce your
representative in Congress to the ALMA project, please invite your
representative and accompany him/her to the reception.  Please let us
know that you have done this.  A list of Representatives on appropriate
committees may be found at:
http://www.mma.nrao.edu/science/congress.html
The Representatives and/or their staff are of course most welcome at the
meeting also.

A press conference will be held at the Carnegie Institution on the morning
of 7 October to introduce the ALMA project to the media.  The subjects
to be covered are under development.

A reception and banquet for meeting participants will be held at the
Omni-Shoreham Hotel beginning on the evening of 7 October.

| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	 |
| Project Scientist, The Millimeter Array                |
| Astronomer, National Radio Astronomy Observatory       |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA |
| (804)-296-0329 voice Help us build The Millimeter Array|
| (804)-296-0278 FAX           {>    {>    {>    {>      |