[mmaimcal] forwarded message from Robert Brown

Michael Rupen mrupen at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Sep 15 19:55:40 EDT 1998

I really hate email debates, but I also can't let this one go.

IMHO, there are two *separate* issues:
  (1) ESO (via the Messenger or whatever) implying publicly that decisions
    were made by ESO & NRAO, when in fact NRAO has not signed on with those
    decisions.

  (2) Big vs. small telescopes

Regardless of where you stand on (2), (1) is still an issue...and a problem.
One of the prime requisites of working as equal partners will be keeping
active and accurate lines of communication -- we can't afford to have
the Europeans thinking NRAO is doing X, when we're in fact doing Y; nor
can we afford the reverse.  Granted, at the management level all may be
clear and understood (!); but even if this were true, the information that
we propagate to those working on the project, and those interested but not
(yet) involved, should also be as clear and as accurate as possible.  At the
very least, it should not be misleading.  The fact that those at the different
_NRAO_ sites disagree as to what has been decided, or is or is not obvious,
simply illustrates this problem of communication.  If we have in fact
decided that 64x12m is the way to go if ESO comes in, great, that announcement
is clear and correct.  If we have not yet made that decision, I think
we would all agree that the wording is at the least misleading.

My impression has been that we have NOT made the decision.  If I'm wrong,
could somebody please say so, unambiguously, and with authority?  Then
at least Bryan and I -- and anyone else equally misguided -- could stop
worrying about which is the right antenna size, and move on to all the
issues that _would_ still need addressing.

If we have *not* decided on the proper antenna size, can I take this
opportunity to plea for someone to look hard at the tradeoffs involved?
This seems to be one of those "religious" debates, where various people
think the answer is obvious, but don't agree on what that answer is.
The Europeans in November did a very nice job of laying out the advantages
of big dishes; if the issue is still open, someone should be assigned ASAP
to write up the case for small dishes, put the two cases side by side,
and make this debate a concrete one.  Personally I'd bet that whichever
array we wind up building will be wonderful, and I will happily use either
one...

     -- Michael