[mmaimcal] forwarded message from Robert Brown

Simon Radford sradford at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Sep 15 18:25:24 EDT 1998

Bryan,

The ESO press release is cribbed almost entirely from the March
Messenger article by Shaver and Booth.

The 8 m diameter is dead. Last November, the MAC endorsed a 12 m
diameter and was surprised when we decided to do a 10 m telescope. If we
collaborate with the Europeans, it seems likely we'll end up with larger
antennas because that's the cheapest way to get more collecting area.

There are only small performance differences between arrays of 10 m and
of 12 m antennas. Personally, I think 36 feet is a good compromise with
a nice historical ring. No one thinks I'm serious!

Deal with it.

Simon