[mmaimcal] Draft WBS Dictionary definitions

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 4 10:16:43 EDT 1998

Richard tells me:
" we need dictionary entries for all level two tasks in the WBS,
or level three in cases like SIS development where the top level task is
extremely broad."
I have developed dictionary entries for the items in our WBS to level 2.
Would you please comment on these?  My understanding is that they offer
broad definitions of topics covered in two or three sentences.  Feel free
to offer your own modifications.  I have placed our WBS entries on a
WWW page at http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/mmaimcal/wbs.html
with hyperlinks to these dictionary definitions.

MMA WBS Dictionary entries for Imaging and Calibration

11 Calibration and Imaging.  The scope of this element covers aspects of
characterization of the MMA site at Chajnantor and aspects of the correction of data
for atmospheric effects.  This includes design and implementation of atmospheric
monitoring devices, collection of weather and geographical data, its
reduction, configuration design and conformation to
the site, application of atmospheric measurements to correction of data for
atmospherically-induced phase delay and calibration of signal amplitudes.

11.1    Site Characterization includes management of the site infrastructure,
measurement of atmospheric parameters and modeling of the atmosphere as it relates
to the modification of incoming radio waves.

11.2	Configuration Studies	includes design of the array in multiple
configurations, locations of the antenna stations to conform to the geography
and other aspects of the site.

11.3	Calibration includes the construction of devices to measure atmospheric
water vapor content at 22 GHz, deployment of those devices, and
the development of algorithms for applying the atmospheric data to improve
images.  This element includes cooperation with other groups attempting to
effect similar data correction techniques, particularly the 183 GHz JCMT-CSO
interferometer.  Improved flux calibration, both in an absolute sense and
in tying together interferometric and single antenna scales, will be addressed.

11.4 Imaging studies will address the fidelity of images obtained using different
array configurations and under varied atmospheric conditions.