[mmaimcal] sources of noise

Harvey Liszt hliszt at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 23 17:01:55 EST 1998

Leonia--

The 1/f-like noise that Al is talking about is actually a gain (G) variation
and the noise contribution it actually makes is from the "other" term
in the radiometer equation, which is usually neglected, i.e. a term which
in quadrature adds to the other noise like (delta G/G)**2.

Of course the gain variations also have some frequency dependence, as the
gain does, but on the whole the 1/f noise is coherent across the band, as
the whole passband breaths on short time scales.

Also is isn't strictly 1/f (I think its more like 1/sqrt(f)).

regards, Harvey