[fitswcs] WCS for co-moving maps

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Mon Sep 14 12:46:13 EDT 2015

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Dirk Petry wrote:

> OFLN/OFLT sounds interesting also for our purposes at ALMA.
> Is anyone working towards making this part of the FITS standard?

I was not aware of the existence of this convention. It was never
submitted to the registry of FITS conventions
http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_registry.html.

But I presume it uses fully valid ("legal") FITS constructs. Just to make
things clear:

- if a convention uses valid constructs according to the FITS standard,
   it is valid FITS.

   Conventions inside a specific project or community are perfectly
   legal.

- if a convention has been submitted to the Registry, it simply means
   it has a complete documentation and is advertised there. Inclusion
   in the registry does not imply any endorsement. But if it was valid,
   it remains valid. Anybody wishing to use it is encouraged to use it.

   The registration is a suggestion : if you need to do this, you can
   do it that way.

- the IAU FITS WG (currently being dissolved and resurrected in the
   framework of the IAU Commission reform) is currently working at
   incorporating some registered conventions in the standard document.

   WCS conventions are down the priority list, so most likely the
   successor body will care about that.

   Incorporation in the standard means : if you need to do this, then
   you must do it that way.

   But valid conventions remain valid and not forbidden even if they
   are not "stamped" as part of the standard document.