[fitswcs] FITS WCS Time Paper

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 22 13:45:12 EDT 2012

Rob Seaman wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2012, at 8:33 AM, Tom McGlynn wrote:
>
>> Since I don't pretend to be cognizant of the subtle issues involved in
>> time systems, I won't comment on the how those complexities are
>> handled.  However, at the risk of stirring up issues that were thought
>> addressed long ago, I do have a number of comments on the standard as
>> a guide for someone trying to write or read FITS files containing
>> times. It seems to me that this document combines a standard
>> definition, recommendations for usage, aspirations for general changes
>> to FITS that might be useful, and operational considerations.  Of
>> these I believe only the first two should have any place in the
>> document and even they must be carefully distinguished.
>
> The document is a manuscript for submission to a scientific journal.  The latter aspects that motivate the standard and its usage are key elements of the paper from my point of view.  Presumably the FITS TARDIS user's manual will come later.

I'm looking at this document in the same light as the earlier WCS
papers which were published in the same fashion.  I do not believe
this current draft addresses the mechanics of generating/reading FITS
data with the same level of rigor as they did.  Note that I am not
suggesting that the discussion of usage be limited in anyway -- only
distinguished from the normative elements of the standard.

	Tom