[fitswcs] Question about the Mercator projection.

David Berry d.berry at jach.hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 10 06:23:20 EST 2010

Hi Bill,
           As I understand it DS9 uses the AST library for plotting
its coordinate grids, and AST does produce curved lines, so I'm
confused. Maybe Bill Joye can comment. If you go to

http://starlink.jach.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/ast/fits-plotter

and paste your FITS headers into the "Headers" box,  then enter
"grid=1" into the "plot settings" box (to get grid lines rather than
just tick marks) and then press submit, you will see what AST
produces.

David